Subject: Re: [Leica] ethics of staging
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 21:10:16 -0500

At 07:06 PM 1999-01-13 -0600, Kirk Turk wrote:

>Since, according to Eric, the photojournalism ethics is "hardly 40 years
>old",  Abe Rosenthal at Iwo Jima  didn't really violate any ethical
>standards when he allegedly staged  the famous flag/ banner picture. -:)

A cheap shot, and a canard.  No, the picture wasn't "staged":  it was a
shot of the second flag-raising.  The first flag had been too small to be
readily visible from the rest of the island, so a "battle flag" (One Big
Momma, and who among us knows the dimensions?) was substituted, and the
Rosenthal's shot is an unstaged recording of that elevation.  There are
pictures, incidentally, of the "first" flag-raising, as well:  my father's
best friend in college was one of the folks involved in this one.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!