Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Enlarger Question
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 18:04:04 -0700

Joe Stephenson wrote:

> Dear Alan,
> Have you tried making tests w/ your enlarger? I ask because I use an old
> (40-50 years?) Simon-Omega D-2 for 35mm printing. It is cluncky, and I
> thought about replacing it. But I made some tests, and it was easily
> aligned. I spent the money I saved and bought a Rodagon APO enlarging lens,
> a good grain focuser, and an assortment of printing paper. It's not a dream
> to focus, but it's not a problem, either. The next thing I want is a good
> four-bladed enlarging easel.  If you want a V35, go for it. I woudn't mind a
> fancier enlarger, but for ordinary B & W printing, the requirements are few
> and simple.
> Some where in the back of my mind I seem to recall of enlarger lenses that
> were optomized for glassless negative carriers. There was also a version
> made for the flat negative plane produced by a glass carrier. Is my
> recolection correct?
> Sincerely,
> Joe Stephenson
> ++++++++++
> Alan wrote:
> [cut]
> I digress though...this setup, though acceptable for large format, just
> doesn't seem to have the precise alignment capability and precision
> focus mechanism required for really fine 35mm printing. The idea of
> a glass neg carrier intrigues me because it seems logical that the neg
> would be held in a flatter plane. Precisely flat negative plane coupled
> with neg stage, lens stage, and easel in precise parallel alignment is,
> it would seem, best for 35mm; any neg really, but smaller negs seem
> to benefit most from precision equipment.
> [cut]

I'm with you on the D2. Although I do have the Aristo variable contrast
head on mine: blue light, green light...which I use consecutively which
makes a big difference for me. Viva la difference!! From what I know the
Omega's are a third more popular than the Beselar the Beselar being hard
to calibrate. Zone six used to make a lens carrier that could make it be
calibrated. I love the 23c by the way.
Are you thinking of c lenses for slide projectors optimized for
glassless and curvy slides?
I don't think glassless neg carriers for 35mm are an issue, few people
don't use them. Few people feel that their negs are curving in their
enlargers and I think that includes most mater printers. But then again,
maybe its just me? I make full frame black border enlargements from 35mm
negs and the grain pattern is consistent from corner to corner. I stop
down two or three, three is the ideal. I have a Nikkor 80 5.6 soon to be
replace by a Componon 4 the f stop being the issue.