Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Enlarger Question
From: "Joe Stephenson" <joeleica@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 17:24:47 -0700

Dear Alan,
Have you tried making tests w/ your enlarger? I ask because I use an old
(40-50 years?) Simon-Omega D-2 for 35mm printing. It is cluncky, and I
thought about replacing it. But I made some tests, and it was easily
aligned. I spent the money I saved and bought a Rodagon APO enlarging lens,
a good grain focuser, and an assortment of printing paper. It's not a dream
to focus, but it's not a problem, either. The next thing I want is a good
four-bladed enlarging easel.  If you want a V35, go for it. I woudn't mind a
fancier enlarger, but for ordinary B & W printing, the requirements are few
and simple.
Some where in the back of my mind I seem to recall of enlarger lenses that
were optomized for glassless negative carriers. There was also a version
made for the flat negative plane produced by a glass carrier. Is my
recolection correct?
Sincerely,
Joe Stephenson
++++++++++
Alan wrote:
[cut]
I digress though...this setup, though acceptable for large format, just
doesn't seem to have the precise alignment capability and precision
focus mechanism required for really fine 35mm printing. The idea of
a glass neg carrier intrigues me because it seems logical that the neg
would be held in a flatter plane. Precisely flat negative plane coupled
with neg stage, lens stage, and easel in precise parallel alignment is,
it would seem, best for 35mm; any neg really, but smaller negs seem
to benefit most from precision equipment.
[cut]