Subject: [Leica] Re: R6 motor question
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 99 05:41:28 +1100

George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> [R6 with motor and -30-degrees cold, batteries
>  in motor died.]

> I checked the batteries in the motor drive with
> a voltmeter.  The polarity on three of the batteries
> had reversed.

Strongly recommend you use AA Lithiums in future.  More
expensive sure, but they are lighter, work much better
in cold conditions, and at room temp seem to last forever!
(Am still hammering the set I installed 6 months ago!)

> Can someone tell me why the camera no longer
> functions at all when the batteries in the motor
> drive go dead?  It is quite an alarming experience
> to have a mechanical camera stop operating like this.

The R's were designed to bypass the camera battery if
a winder/drive was attatched.  So if there is no juice
coming from the W/D, then you're out of juice period. :^(

Keep in mind that you can buy (still?) separate plastic
battery holders which slot into the W/D, so when one set
of batteries dies, you just lock 'n' load a new holder.

BTW, one design feature I find weird for the MotorWinder R
is that if you want to use the electronic release built
into it, then the R6/6.2 camera body 1. must have a working
battery installed & 2. the camera meter must be on.

Why Solmns, why?!...

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth

VR MEDIA  SOUND  PHOTO  JAVA