Subject: Re: [Leica] Bulk Loading (was weird crap)
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 00:06:46 -0800

George wrote:

>At 12:58 AM 12/01/99 -0800, Henning wrote:
>>I also use the Leica bulk film winder to load film in the dark. I don't
>>like those fogged frames at the end from daylight loaders.
>>
>Do tell more.  I use a Watson bulk loader.  How does the Leica loader
>differ?  The film is taped onto the spool in daylight.  This usually
>results in loosing the last few frames on the roll.  How does one connect
>the film to the spool on the bulk loader in the dark?  Are some spools
>easier to use for this than others?

The Leica winder is just a crank on a holder to hold the spool correctly
and a pressure roller to hold the film against the spool. No casing. You
work in the dark. After a few times, this is not a problem, and I regularly
load 100' rolls without seeing any light. You just get your cassettes
organized, your strips of tape (if required; the Leica cassettes don't need
them) and your film and scissors into proper positions. The winder is
mounted on a doorframe, and at the 36 exposure distance south of that a
small nail is also sticking out of the doorframe. The rest just takes a
little concentration and clean hands.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com