Subject: [Leica] Re: Enlarger Question
From: "A. Huntley" <prasepe@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 19:52:51 -0500

Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry on glass vs. glassless
neg carriers.

christoph,
Guess I should explain where my original question was coming
from...I have an old Beseler MX 4x5 enlarger that I've been using
to print my Leica M 35mm negs. The 35mm carrier for this enlarger
is glassless with the cutout slightly oversized. I really like the over-
sized cutout because one can print the entire neg right to the edges!

I digress though...this setup, though acceptable for large format, just
doesn't seem to have the precise alignment capability and precision
focus mechanism required for really fine 35mm printing. The idea of
a glass neg carrier intrigues me because it seems logical that the neg
would be held in a flatter plane. Precisely flat negative plane coupled
with neg stage, lens stage, and easel in precise parallel alignment is,
it would seem, best for 35mm; any neg really, but smaller negs seem
to benefit most from precision equipment.

The V35 attracts me mainly because I know that a Leitz enlarger would
certainly be built to exacting standards, but...it ain't cheap, and I'm kind
of partial to my Schneider optics. It's my understanding that only Leitz
lenses can be used on this enlarger. Don't want to "clog" the list with a
long message so I'll end my ramblings here.

Best regards,
Alan