Subject: Re: [Leica] pocket camera
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 00:25:09 -0800

>The Rollei 35 is the true pocket Leica or Leica M.5. (that's M point
>five). That's not including screw mount Leica of course.
>These other cameras are plastic plastic plastic with not a capital p.
>My regard for the precious metal Rollei's are that they belong hanging
>from  your rear view mirror.
>Get an old one, the Singapore models are ok.

I have a 35S (Silver edition) that I bought new, and have used some after
my earlier 35 (first series) fell into the toilet (the only unintentional
UW excursion any of my cameras have made).

It performs well; better than the first one, but I now mostly use a GR-1 as
my pocket camera. 28mm suits me, the size suits me better than the
Rollei's, and the weight is an even stronger argument. The extra
convenience of the Ricoh is only another plus. Selecting a focus point
manually is a bit fiddly, but doable. Generally, the autofocus and lock
work well enough that I don't have a problem, and the easy aperture
setting, exposure compensation and positive flash-off are very good. About
the only annoyance is that the exposure compensation can be moved off its
position a bit too easily.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com