Subject: Re: [Leica] [Leica} standards, Doisneau, Summicron performance
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 10:55:51 -0500

- --------------2FD17CE7ED777845E447DCDA

Jeffrey Hausner wrote:
>=20
> > >HCB influenced his subjects to behave in
> > >        a way that suited his imaging purposes. He did it subtle, bu=
t he
> > did
> > >it anyway. If you look carefully at some
> > >        of his pictures, you have to admit that they are on the brin=
k of
> > being
> > >posed.
> >
> > That is totally false. There is no call for making such an accusation=
. He
> > has denied such action, and it calls into question his whole life's w=
ork.
> > Name one single picture that you say is posed, besides the portraits =
which
> > are often, but not always, legitimately posed.
> >
>         I could be wrong about this, but I remember H.C.-B. writing tha=
t he
> posed the photograph of a man with his arms crossed over his bare chest
> juxtaposed next to a pair of high-heeled shoes in a cabinet, which shoe=
s,
> sole to sole,  formed a heart shape.  The picture was, I believe, taken
> during his first trip to Mexico.
>=20
>                 Buzz Hausner

The photo is shown in "Mexican Notebooks". I believe in the Museum of
Modern Art's book on HCB there is a reference to this being one of the
few posed photos he did. There are a couple others that I can't all
remember although I think the one of his friend Andr=E9  Pieyre de
Mandiargues smoking a cigarette in front of a sign in Italy may also be
posed.

Carl Socolow
- --------------2FD17CE7ED777845E447DCDA

begin:vcard