Subject: [Leica] was: Offensive & disp. now belly buttons!:)
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 11:23:44 -0800

Jim Brick wrote:

>I remember when you couldn't say "pregnant" on TV. I remember when it was
>forbidden to show a "toilet" on TV. My my... the strides we've made.>>>>>

Hi Jim,

Never mind TV, look at this for newspapers regarding the female "belly
button."  And I quote from a book,

"News Pictures Fit to Print.... or are they?"  by Curtis D. MacDougall, Ph.D
Professor of Journalism, North Western University.  1971!

This is concerning running a picture of a model showing  bare mid-drift.

Page: 29:

"The pretty model was to appear with belly-button in view. The Los Anglese
Times stepped in to veto the ad agency, and the navel was airbrushed out."

More: "The vamps, love goddesses, "it" and "oomph" girls of earlier decades
were thought to be alluring and capable of great lovableness, but their
umbilical cords were considered to be private.

So I guess we've come a long  way baby! :)
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant