Subject: [Leica] Rapidwinder on M3? - (Was Chalk and Charcoal in HC110)
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 13:46:10 EST

On 1/9/99 Dan Post wrote:
>Tom-
Snip
>Does your winder fit on an M3?  I noticed a definite difference in the
>size of, say my IIIa, and the IIIc, but never thought to check the bottom
>of my M3 with an M6! will that little 'basket' turn the M3 spool?
>Dan

Dan,
 The Rapidwinder does not fit the M3 or M4. However, the camera can be
converted to accept it, that involves having a M6 drive installed. The cost of
the conversion is roughly $200 and then you have a camera that the cognoscenti
will be drooling about. You will find yourself stopped on the street by
complete strangers asking "is that an MP" - as if you would be walking around
with a $15,000 collectible around your neck! I tried a conversion where the
plastic basket on a M4 baseplate provided the drive connection. It works, but
the flexible ''tulipleaves" on the camera's take up spool are not strong
enough to withstand the force required to turn the take up shaft for longer
times.
 The current Rapidwinders fit either the M1/M2/MP and Md in its Rapidwinder M2
configuration, or the M4-2/M4-P and M6 in its Rapidwinder M6 configuration.
The M2 configuration is a limited production item. I will only make about 300
of these in total, as it required some major machining changes and a special
inside top-plate and I only had 300 of these made. When I started making the
M2 Rapidwinder I only did it for my own use and re-machined M6 Rapidwinder
cases to fit it (labour intensive to put it mildly!).  I have 3 M3's which are
converted to M6 Rapidwinders and use them extensively - M2's with 21 and 35's
on them, M3's with 50 and 90's. Nice usable combination and somehow suits my
shooting style and my preference for Tri-X. One of my pet projects is to make
a 75 mm frame that could be retrofitted into a M3 and give a 75 frame which
would be proportionate to the 50 frame with full frame lines, and dedicate a
M3 body to that lens.
Well, the Vancouver weather is rainy and grey - perfect for the Noctilux and
Neopan 1600, so I am out of here.
All the best,
Tom A
www.rapidwinder.com (for more Rapidwinder & Softrelease information if