Subject: Re: [Leica] image evaluation criteria
From: LP6@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 17:13:17 EST

Erwin:

Enjoyed your testing comments...and your depth... which I've just read!

May I pose a question?

I would like you to comment further on the matter of translating (identifying)
2 dimensional line, graph testing results that are most critical to the job of
the job the eye-brain has in it construction of a vivid three dimensional
image experience?  Did I ask the question rilght?

Here I'm assuming that a good lens must provide the eye-brain "computer" (via
the captured image (visual map)) certain critical elements in critical
alignments, ratios,  and proportions to maximze a good human experience; i.e.,
the good lens collects (throws up data for eye-brain to act on) "data" that
the eye-brain uses to construct its image (or image of an image)........such
that a given human might say  "Ah, a good picture!".  Now, then, what are the
more critical parameters of lens design that optimally drive the eye-brain
experience?  What optical parameters are the best building blocks for eye-
brain processing?  Objective designing for physics is one thing, designing for
the eye-brain processing (subjective) is another!

I know that in life it is more important to ask the right questions than to
get answers, and I hope my question is a decent one, if not the right one?  In
any event, I'd be interested in your comments, in your wrestling with the
meaning of my question, assuming I've managed to make myself sufficiently
clear so as to have earned the "right" to expect further discussion?

Happy New Year,

Leon
LP6@aol.com