Subject: Re: [Leica] Leicaflex SL
From: Dominique PELLISSIER <pelliss@droit-eco.univ-nancy2.fr>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 21:16:10 +0100

At 10:25 06/01/99 EST, MSwiek wrote :
>Hi,
>
>I love the SL and use several of them extensively.  They are
straightforward,reliable cameras, with TTL metering, and the virtue of
taking the less expensive, older 2-cam lenses.  To my eyes, the focusing
screen is one of the brightest and nicest available.  They are available
relatively inexpensively, about $350 for the camera body in EX+ or better
condition and about $150-200 for a 2-cam 50mm Summicron in really nice
condition.  Unfortiunately, I just sold my extra ouitfit this past
weekend. There are a couple of points to be aware of, however.  The TTL
metering is a spot meter, outlined by the microprism focuing circle in the
viewfinder.  I
find this advantageous, others may wish for an overall metering system, or
the ability to choose between the two.The cameras are all more than 25
years old now.  One popit to look for when buying one is that the
viewfinder is cllean and clear.  On many, there appears to be a brownish
"dirty water" stain in te viewfinder.  This is a sign that the prism is
begining to separate and may need to be replaced -- an expensive job.Also,
there were "early" and "late" versions, with the late version having a few
strengthened parts.  The most obvious is the lens lock release button.Early
ones had a red plastic one which is prone to breakage.  later ones have
a silver metal tab.  Also, the film take-up spool was a light gray/white
plastic on early ones, in which the take-up slots were proe to breakage.
The laterones had a darker, medium gall metal spool which was stronger.
Another point is the meter cell, located in the bottom of the mirror box.
Whne viewed with the mirror up (holding down the shutter release with the
speed set on B) early meter cells were smooth.  Later ones show ridges.A
final note, while the meter in the SL is very accurate, it takes the
discontinued mercury batteries.  I have found a ready supply of these
batteries in Europe in the past.  Leica in New Jersey says they can
recalibrate the meter to take newer silver-oxide batteries.  I have used
the silver oxide batteries in two of my camereas without having them
recalbrated
and the resulkts have been fine.

Very interesting indeed. It is the first time I read so accurate info on
the 2 types of SL.
In France, there are cells called Wein cells which are mercury-free
replacements. What's your opinion ?

Dominique Pellissier