Subject: Re: [Leica] Luftwaffen Leica - Help with Identification
From: "Mark Hammons" <astair@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 20:04:06 -0600

Addressing the issue of the propriety of collecting WWII
Leica equipment, I believe that most folks that do so do so
out of making their collection more "complete".  The WWII
Leica cameras do have more collector value attached to them
whether they are a "Plain Jane" IIIc wartime (with the nifty knob
on the rangefinder diopter lever) or the vastly more valuable
"Luftwaffen, Heer or M" (Airforce, Army, Navy) engraved  IIIBs
and IIICs.  But then again, rarity and value are also assigned
to the Swedish Army IIIg's and the US Army KE-7A cameras.

I'm a "small potatoes" collector and the only thing I have of
this breed is a Wartime IIIc (no red curtains -- no "Eigentum")
- -- which I found a good deal on recently and purchased.  My
main motivation was to have at least one each of a Wartime
and Postwar IIIc.  I believe the "Big Potatoe" :-) collectors are
the same but with deeper pockets so a "Luftwaffen Eigentum"
might be a real catch for them.   I don't think anything more
than Leica Collecting Fever is to blame for the interest in
wartime equipment.

Mark Hammons