Subject: Re: [Leica] Project '99 ? a picture a day!
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 00:17:07 -0800

Alan Ball wrote:

<<<But I have a real problem with the PAD quality requirement, the word
"meaningful". Which brings us back to the source of this idea: what is the
reason of existence of our pictures ?>>>>>>>

Hey Alan baby, :)

Meaningful only to the person who shoots the frame if they consider it
motivating enough to expose an image that's cool! It's meaningful! :)

There isn't any deep down meaningful reason to shoot this thing, I figured
it might give folks a reason, as some folks need a reason, to use their
Leica cameras.

I figure if everyone shoots whatever it is they are motivated by through
out this last year of the millennium each person who does, will or should
have some interesting pictures of their and others lives during the 365
days or as has been suggested, a 52 frame series of one "neat meaningful"
for each of the 52 weeks.

>So, is the PAD project fulfilled by shooting 1 pic a day ?>>>>>>>

Well I guess! As my wife said,  " don't shoot a whole roll every day, why
don't you also try to get at least 15 days on one roll by shooting only two
frames each day! Then you'd be doing yourself a favor and taking your time
to look for things slightly different. Besides you wont be wasting film
that way!" :)  I told her, "I don't tell you how to make bread!"  She
responded with, "I'll remember that some day when you don't want me to."
Smiled and left the room.

<<<<<And if it should be 'meaningful', what is the definition of that word
agreed upon around here ?>>>>>>

Like I said this is a lucy goosey picture taking thing for whatever turns
you on to the word meaningful. Never intended it for a committee meeting to
decide on what the word and outcome means. If it's a cool shot for you,
then who cares what anyone else thinks is meaningful....that's their
problem, as you're the guy going to look at it for the next 1000 years! :).

<<<<<Is the 253,357,418th pic of the Hôtel de Ville of the Grand'Place of
Brussels 'meaningful' even if the light is great, the exposure perfect and
the lens a 35mm asph ? I think not.>>>>>>>>>

My question? Why not? Besides if you like it then that's the person who
thought it was meaningful. Hell the challenge in your description is to
shoot it "one more time" Hopefully better, different, oddball way than
anyone else has. Or just as perfect as the other 7 million frames. The
difference...."Do you like it or not?" As in, was it meaningful for
you....or any other member of the LUG or the world.

>Judging from previous threads and web publications, some image might be
>extremely 'meaningful' to 1 person and really 'meaningless' to most
>others.>>>>>>

You know what that's called?........... "that's life!" :) besides who cares?

>I find the PÄD idea real fun, but I do not feel presumptuous enough as
>to proclaim that I've shot a single 'meaningful' picture since Jan 1. Or
>even before that, BTW...>>>>>

Alan mon ami, I think your making too big a deal out of this. Forget all
this who, where, why and whatever reasoning and just grab your camera and
go do some picture taking that is "meaningful to you!"  And don't give a
rats butt what the heck anyone else thinks. Do your own thing " For the fun
of it."

As you have said, <<<<<"I find the PÄD idea real fun,>>>>>

That's cool!  So lets you and I knock off the gabbing, because me answering
this is keeping me away from having fun. See ya on the street or in the
garden with leica in hand looking for meaningful pictures! :)

<<<<but I do not feel presomptuous enough as to proclaim that I've shot a
single 'meaningful' picture since Jan 1. Or even before that,

Sure you have or you wouldn't be here. Actually you are saying you've never
taken a picture you liked. And I find that hard to believe.. Hell man you
are making a much to big of a thing out of this...just have some fun, shoot
some film. :) And for a change be a little "presumptuous," good for the ego
once in awhile. :)

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant