Subject: Re: [Leica] HC110 was: Chemistry Questions
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 22:57:01 -0500

- --------------7D777E587F28A43D3C0A4827

When I used to do news photography we would have a deep tank (such as a
4x5 tank) always loaded with HC110-A. Our normal developer was D76 which
we replenished but when we had spot news with a tight deadline it was
straight into the HC110 processing in the dark with the reels on just a
reel hanger. This we would agitate every 30 sec. or so for whatever time
the ambient temp. of the developer called for. From there straight into
fixer (which we also always kept in a deep tank and I still do to this
day) for quick clearing. Then wash for 30 sec., dryer for 1 minute and
into the Focomat 1C to print wet. We'd rewash negs later and I always
felt bad having to clean the crud off the Focomat glass but a deadline
was a deadline.

We covered the gubernatorial swearing-in ceremonies this way one year in
5 degree weather with about six staff photogs, the paper was running
multiple inaugural editions that morning and holding the presses until
artwork arrived. We were cranking, at our prime and everything went
great. I only had one bad occurence when I was walking backward
photographing the governor and his wife walking to a nearby reception
and I walked into one of the capitol police kiosks. The governor's wife
rushed over and helped me up. Nothing damamged but my young pride.

And that is how you use HC110. I should add that we really used it as a
utility developer in a pinch but none of us really liked it at either A
or B dilutions because the highlights were too dense and hard to print
through. I do still use it occassionally at the B dilution, mixed
straight from syrup, for my 4x5 Tri-X.

Carl Socolow
- --------------7D777E587F28A43D3C0A4827

begin:vcard