Subject: Re: [Leica] They don't make 'em like they use to; or do they?
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 19:04:26 -0700

Bert Collier wrote:

> For many years now I have been using an M-2 (quickload kit) and a variety
> of lenses with much satisfaction, though possibly the critics may demur
> over the results asthetically. While handheld meters hanging off the neck
> drive members of the (insert your preference here) sex wild; as I get older
> and more sure of my self, TTL metering is becoming more and more seductive
> to me. You may have noticed that M-6s are being cleared out at firesale
> prices, for Leica of course; and I was wondering if any members of this
> august body would know how well the M-6 will hold up compared to my M-2
> (1958, tattered but happy). Would I be better off getting a used early M-6
> ? They have been in production for fourteen years now and I think you would
> know and tell, unlike Leica. Thank you in advance and my apologies if I
> start a flame session.

I bought a new  M-6  $1700 from Adorama 5 years ago dropped it hard 3
times works perfectly has never needed any work. I've put several
hundred rolls of tri x through it, carried it around. I'd love to own
samples of earlier Leicas which are more solid in some ways I'm sure,
but the hard core Leicafiles give the M-6 a bad rap which I know to be
undeserved. The  new TTL gets a scathing rap as you'd expect and which
I'd expect to be undeserved although I'm not getting one as a second
body because of the confusion of a shutter speed dial that turns the
opposite direction as I'm used to. THis makes the m6 the best deal in
photography that I can think of other than a used Rolleiflex TLR.