Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica virus, Alan, R8+100 APO MACRO WTB
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 18:08:31 +0100

phong (Doan huu Phong) wrote:

> Hi Alan & other LUGers,
>
>    I have been watching your affliction, Alan.  Who now will
>    defend us against Eric W.'s siren songs of the 19mm and
>    the 70-180mm VAE ?  That a man of reason such as you would
>    succumb too leaves me  with no hope.  My day will come,
>    that is now my realization.....<snip>...

Phong,

Stay away from the stuff. They hook you and, despite all your
resolution, all further resistance seems vain. There is something in
Leica design that goes further than even the most intricate of Erwin's
posts. I'm not really talking optics here, but fundamental design:
balance, ergonomics, materials used, tactile feedback. Obvious on the M
system, that quality of design is also there on the (very) few R items
I've had the weakness to use. But do not worry, I do not pretend for one
second my SLR slides are suddenly and obviously better than before. Not
yet anyway (guess that is the next phase of the sickness).

I'll try to keep the wider lenses exclusively in M form, and limit the R
side to what the M cannot do (100mm macro and 180mmf2.8 apo). Lucien the
pusher did make me look through a R+19mm during the fatal Leica days a
few weeks ago. I kept my eye closed !

Have a great year. Too bad for the house ;-)

Alan