Subject: Re: [Leica] Apples and Oranges
From: John Doherty <John.Doherty@globalknowledge.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 22:04:22 -0500

I've been away from the list for several months and came back just in time
to see this latest reoccurence of the "Leica versus other cameras"
discussion.  I know that this topic comes up regularly and gets a little
repetitive for the older members but I just have to jump in this time.

For many years before I could afford Leicas, I thought this mystique thing
was a load of crap.  When I finally could afford some used equipment, I
thought I saw something in pictures taken with the DR Summicron but felt it
was probably just my imagination.  This year I could afford the 35 Summilux
ASPH.  and took B&W pictures of my 30 minute old grandson.  I have never
taken pictures like this before.  I have rarely seen pictures like this
before. I don't think I will ever buy anything but Leica lenses again.  Of
course I may have been a bit emotionally involved in this case but the same
result happens roll after roll.

I am actually considering limiting my photography to newborns in dark
hospital corridors in the middle of the night !  Not many people do this I'm
sure so there would be little competition and I might make enough money to
buy the 24 ASPH Erwin just recommended, and then I'll buy ...., and then
I'll buy....

John D.