Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Apples and Oranges
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 18:19:46 -0600 (CST)

Hello Jim, all,

I enjoyed your post.....I agree, and would like to add my (probably
unneeded) .02 !!

Leica is NOT state of the art....they haven't been since the M3 debuted
and was surpassed in three years.....
Years ago, "Leica" meant an interchangeable lens RFDR camera, small,
with small, light, pocketable lenses (but not necessarily great glass
 or fast, even for the time....Zeiss kicked their ass on both fronts)
Leicas were smaller, lighter, more convenient, and MUCH more durable.
Their lens mount was superior, and made for smaller lenses.

Leitz refused to call an SLR "LEICA" -- not a bad idea, still, IMHO.
Note that M-sales are stable, P/S sales are up, R sales are down and
might spell disaster for Leica AG.
Let's look at Leica selling points:  (here's a list, Will)

1. Leica bodies are mechanically superior to ANY OTHER. (Is this
true today?  With an embarassing rate of warranty returns? HELL NO)_
2. Mechanical, manual camera with few frills FOR THOSE THAT WANT IT
and can/are willing to pay for it.  Still true today, but I fear that
the next M might deviate from this tradition.
3. Small and light with small, light lenses.  Not so.  Compare an
M6TTL to a IIIc with three lenses for each.  At least 50% bigger and
many ounces heavier.  But still small and light compared to any
SLR, so we might get by on this one.  But as the lenses get better, they
get bigger.....may be an OK tradeoff, don't know.....

So r.e. Jim's comments, the Leica vs EOS/F5 comparisons are simply
ridiculous......an extreme example of apples and oranges. (still
referring to M cameras)  I agree with Jim -- my type of photography
doesn't require or want for automation/autofocus.....for those
that "need" it -- well, they're not buying Leica now or ever!

As for R-user, I can't understand or explain them, I just hope the
R-system doesn't bury Leica financially.  They need to take some of the
money they're spending on the R-system and push the prices down on
common M- equipment and market the hell out of it, IMHO.  It's their
"ONLY" exclusive product, and exclusive it has to be to keep them
afloat.  Cut the price on the standard M-6, bring back the M-4P as
an entry level camera at $800, perhaps with a new LCD MR style meter
at $100, and get the users "hooked"  -  I think drug terminology is
appropriate for leica users based on what I've seen...........They
WILL sell their mothers for a 75 summilux or an APO anything.

Oh well, time will tell all,
Walt