Subject: Re: [Leica] Question on SUMMILUX-R f/1.4/35mm
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 14:45:49 -0600

>Are there any significant performance gains/losses, benefits, or
>drawbacks between the SUMMILUX-R f/1.4/35mm and the SUMMICRON-R
>f/2/35mm?  The extra stop of the SUMMILUX-R f/1.4/35mm would be more
>beneficial since the majority of my shots are taken indoors using only
>available light.  Although, I must admit that the VARIO-ELMARIT-R ASPH
>f/2.8/35-70mm is very tempting due to its wide range of applications.
>Any advice or comments would be sincerely appreciated!!!

I see the 35-70 2.8 is now down to $2,295. Amazing! Saw it in the Jan. '99
Shutterbug.

The 35 Summilux R is a great lens. Better in many ways than the Summicron.
(Not just me who says that, Jim Kuehl - former Leica rep) and others. The
Summicron's strength is flare suppression. But the Summilux is good at that
too. What it's one weakness is would be in shooting wide opening in pretty
high light against a very even background. The vignette's more than any
other Leica lens I know. That also restricts use of filters on this lens.
Make them thin!

But it's an awesome lens in its element. In available light, it makes
gorgeous pictures. I have used one for quite a few years and loved it. If I
bought a 35mm lens for my R8, there's little doubt in my mind it would be
the Summilux R. Except for the fact that I have heard on this list that's
one lens due for an update soon. So a good used one (pretty common at
$1,500 or less), or used Summicron might be good to keep you going until
the new one comes out. :-)

- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Time is the best teacher; Unfortunately it kills all its students