Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Scan's
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 07:30:37 -0600

> I am using more ASTIA less Velvia and have had a fair
>amount of success with Portra 160 NC. But I'd like to hear from Eric and
>others who deal with this combo (film-scan) everyday.

That would be a good choice. Astia has much better handling of highlights
and shadows than Velveeta. :-)

Negative films can be worked up in Photoshop easier than slide films.
Kodak's scanner does pretty good with Kodachrome when you use the latest
driver. And the brilliance of slides on a projector screen cannot be
matched by the web, but the glowing phosphor of a computer screen isn't
that bad. It takes time to get down the right combination of color,
brightness and contrast to look good on most computer screens. I'm just
getting the hang of it now. But then I use a calibrated monitor at work and
home. So I don't know how my pictures look on some little 14 inch no-name
monitor out there. That can be a disadvantage, I guess.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch