Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: SHARPNESS cont.
From: "Joe Stephenson" <joeleica@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 18:31:01 -0700

[cut]
I do shoot more than line charts (really I do), but I've had the habit
of shooting a roll of them when first getting a lens to determine
optimum aperture- a VERY important aspect of any lens (IMO).
It's a relatively simple thing to accomplish, and remains in my contact
book as a reference.  Quite useful.
[cut}
Dear Paul,

Since you have taken the pains to test several lenses to determine the
optimum aperture, I hope you will share your findings. I always use f4 or
f5.6 with my 35 mm and 50 mm Sumicrons, and have always heard and read that
max resolution generally occurs at around f4-f5.6. Does this accord with
your tests?
Thanks,
Joe Stephenson