Subject: Re: [Leica] SHARPNESS
From: "dan states" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 11:39:42 PST

Hello Dominique, I am afraid I would take issue with some of the
statements below.  To infer that only 15% of pro's are leica users
because 85% of total sales are to amateurs is inaccurate because the
ratio of pros to amateurs is not 1 to 1.15% of all Leica sales may well
add up to a much larger percentage of the total population of pro's.
Also, determining a cameras desirability based on professional purchases
is a difficult task.  Many "pros" are working for media outlets that
value just "getting the shot" over precise optical demands.

As for the cost, yes you can buy cameras for much less.  I have a Nikon
N50 that cost 369.99 with 35-80 zoom that takes adequate pictures, but
is not capable of the most precise performance.  For this I would need
to invest in MUCH more expensive lenses and bodies.

Please note that the difference in price between the TOP GRADE Nikons
and Canons is really only about 20-30% lower than their Leica
equivalants in many cases.

Finally, as anyone who has purchased a car will tell you, the cost of
ownership is the purchase price, plus maintenance, MINUS resale value.
You can buy any one of the japanese brands units for far less than their
original price, in contrast with Leica product that usually costs MORE
than it originally sold for.  Even the cheapest R series sells for
500-600 for a clean used body, about what they were selling for in the
early 80's.

Happy New Year to you and all!
Dan