Subject: RE: [Leica] digital photography - a BIG frustration
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 12:50:58 -0500

>  Photoshop
> can occupy you for hours and dollars can go into the Epson coffers and I
> wonder what we get in the end.
>
> IMHO,
>
> Steven Alexander

...Pretty freaking amazing quality, especially when you consider cost, etc.
I've only been at this digital stuff for three days, and I'm only using the
HP Photo Scan and the Corel imitation Photoshop....But in those three days
the quality of print that I can turn out has gone up by about 100%. No, I'm
not getting 24x what ever gallery quality images...but I'm getting B&W 5x7
images on 8x10 paper that have better tonal value, are sharper, and freer
from dust and crap, that anything I'd get from the average "custom lab" that
would charge me $7-10 bucks for the same thing....Do I want a digital
camera? Hell no. I love my M6. Am I losing the "Leica advantage" by printing
this way? Yes and No. Yes, if what I had been doing before was either
spending hours in my own darkroom, or spending a lot of money for every
print. But what I was doing was getting 4x6s from the 60 minute lab. So for
me, the answer is no, I'm not losing the Leica advantage...because every bit
of quality that goes into my negatives translates into an improvement in
quality in what ever printing process I use....IMHO...:-)