Subject: Re: [Leica] minilux or hexar
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 23:34:59 -0500

One thing is sure: people who get the competing models already
mentioned in this "minilux or hexar" thread are not getting
lemons.

My remarks:

	1 / I'm very surprised the Minox brand models
		do not naturally rise to the fore
		though I have not used the current models.
		Wouldn't ONE model bespeak of Leica genetics ?
	2 / The Minilux I checked out had one big
		negative : an extra small viewfinder
		I could hardly make any use of,
		far away enough from the side of the camera
		that my big nose ( felt BIG then ! ) was in the way.
		I (unfortunately) wear spectacles, that may
		have been part of the problem. Still ...
		with a larger viewfinder, closer to the left side
		of the camera, it would be an easier sell.
	3 / I'm a long time Rollei 35 user. They have a "limited
		collector's edition", with a Sonnar, mind you,
		in yuppie royal blue and gold. Rather expensive. 2K?
		I understand they make only about 200, or so,
		a year. That's one camera i'd like to own,
		though a LEICA M would come first, considering
		the price difference, ... a pre-owned one perhaps,
		for that sort of money, a LEICA M no less!
	4 / The Olympus Stylus "goldish composite" outer shell
		special anniversary edition I toyed with 5 or 6 years
		ago held some promise, but the "offshore"
		plastic cheapo i checked last year was a joke,
		except for styling and serious All Weather design;
		the functions are ridiculous, with a sloppy
		edge to everything, glory notwithstanding.
		I guess it's a skier's camera !     ;+>)  (oops ! )
		They once made a model called Olympus X-11
		that was a real contender where quality conscious
		people are concerned: one smallish but very solid
		"Made in Japan" little baby cam gem,
		dedicated flash and all, truly superb design,
		but i'm sure the 'X-11' is history by now,
		unfortunately. Had i known of it, "back then",
		I would have preferred it to the Rollei 35.
	5 / The Yashica T4 (T5) retains that "new generation"
		"OK for a while" feeling, but very little control
		on image parameters. The Tessar is a valid lens.
		The lowest priced "real lens" camera i know of.
		But comparing it to Minilux or Hexar
		seems a bit much.
	6 / Try as I may, I simply can't find a 35mm Minolta
		I'd recommend against a Minilux or Hexar.
		APS i'll never believe in. They could do better !
		As we say in French: "They shine by their absence !"
	7 / When all else is said and boiled down, I'm quite sure
		few would find real serious negatives against
		the Konica HEXAR which has a lot going for it to
		hold its ground, even given the prestige competition.
		I thought they were discontinued in late 1997 ???
		In this price range, with no downside to speak of,
		medium size perhaps to some,
		this is the one that gets my favor in this price
		range, if available. ( No thank you for a "plastic SLR"
		compared to this specific camera.)
		I'd even venture to write it has sex appeal!
	8 / One competitor I'd consider [ but NOT against a
		Minilux or Hexar ] is the Samsung / Schneider
		zoom P&S series. They seem to be quite popular
		locally. Various people often ask me to take pictures
		with theirs and I find their feel, functions and
		ergonomics (even their flash) very difficult to criticize,
		with quite good "fujilab" optical performance.
		To an "average consumer", I suppose this makes
		some kind of sense, say versus a Yashica T4,
		especially if kids are to be allowed to use it,
		or learn photo basics,
		eventually (which is "real life" enough to me).
	9 / One last buzzing little question:
		How about a Leica Z2X, as a practical alternate ?
		In hand feeling ? Viewfinder size / position ?
		Construction quality ? Response times ?
		"Real life" lens / autofocus performance ?
		Fun to use ? ( Could a 6-7-8 year old use one ? )
		Relative value ? Positive critical acclaim ?
		(Our regional Leica "full line" dealer never has one
		when i drop in . . . Maybe they sell faster ? )
		(PS: I don't know the Z2X price.)

	Andre Jean Quintal

   Before you judge me,
   try hard to love me,