Subject: Re: [Leica] winning b/w combination
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 16:23:58 -0600

>I will give it another try and thanks for your recommendations.  I am not
>familiar with the term Press Maxx developer.  Is this something that is
>available only for the professional market?

No, it's a developer by Unicolor that was specifically designed to work
with TMax films. The best way I can describe it is Tri-X tonality with TMax
grain. Absolutely gorgeous. No blocking up of highlights and wonderful
shadow detail.

TMax developer is designed to be used pushing TMax films. The films
themselves were optimized to work with D-76.

The one thing Press Maxx developer can't do is P3200. It's horrible with
that film. golf ball sized grain. You can find it at B+H in New York. It
comes in bottles to make 1 and 5 gallons. It's one shot. And it has a very
long shelf-life. Something like six months in a partially opened bottle.
That's the mixed stuff, you should mix the whole gallon or five gallons
because it has a very high dilution ratio and is difficult to dole out in 8
or 16 oz. amounts.Though you'll love it so much you'll be shooting more and
run out long before it expires! :-)
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

The distinction between past, present and future is only an illusion, even
if a stubborn one. - Albert Einstein