Subject: [Leica] R body recommendation (was: R lens recommendation)
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 16:15:54 -0500

On Sun, 27 Dec 1998, ray tai wrote:

<SNIP>

>>> I am set on a new R7.  The R8 looks really tempting but I want to give
Solms another two years to perfect it :-)  Can anyone recommend a web site
that will explain all the different R bodies from the R3 to the R8?
<<<

Ray,

I know of no web site better than this list.  Not only can we explain the
features of the various R bodies but the cumulative experience of LUG
R-users is unmatched on any web site.

Of the R3 through R7 bodies, the R7 is clearly the most "mature" and has
the most useful features.  Some early R3 and R4 bodies had serious
reliability problems but one that has been used much and is still
functioning either has been repaired or didn't have a problem to begin
with.

If you need TTL flash or built-in eyepiece diopter correction you want an
R5 or RE, or newer.  For 4 f/s motor you want R4 through R7.  If you want a
mechanically-timed shutter you want either the R6 or R6.2.  If a
user-changable viewscreen is nessesary, forget the R3.  For
shutter-priority automation, look at the R4, R5 or R7.  Starting with the
R4sP, dust-proofing and idiot-proofing that the R4 and R4s don't have was
added.

If you want the most awesome viewfinder clarity ever seen in an SLR, you
want either an old Leicaflex or the R8.

Does this help?

Doug Herr
Sacramento