Subject: RE: [Leica] "standard camera"
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 17:46:45 -0600

>If you shoot sports the Canon EOS-1N RS is king.  Faster (the RS version)
>that the F5 and Canon does have a wider selection of lenses, including the L
>series which are sharper than the comarable Nikkors.

You would think, wouldn't you. But there's a problem with that reasoning.

The EOS1n RS can't focus AF at 10 fps. At all!

Nikon's F5 is still the speed king when it comes to AF. The EOS1n can focus
at 6 fps, but it's not quite as accurate as the F5 at 8fps. When used with
ultrasonic motors that is. The other downside to the EOS1n RS is that it
loses 2/3, or is it 1/3, stop because of the pellicle mirror.

I know from experience too, having owned both the EOS1n and the F5. Often I
turned off AF with those cameras because it got in the way of focusing
where I wanted it to. But when it works, it's great. Wherever my new job
leads me, I don't know what I might have to do with my cameras, but if I
become a sports shooter again, I just might go with the F5 again, now that
they have an 80-200 2.8 AF-S. I liked the F5 body much more than the EOS1n.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

After all is said and done, usually more is said.