Subject: [Leica] Sad to report
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 03:00:16 -0800 (PST)

Robert wrote;
Alastair:

Before you send it off again, have you tried cleaning the contacts with a
q-tip and some rubbing alcohol or a pencil eraser?  I have a winder and
have not had this problem.

I suspect some of these R8 problems can be as simple as dirty contacts.  I
noticed my R8 will not fire with the rear door open.  Harrision had a
probelm with an R8 that would not fire.  The conclusion I came to is that
if an important contact on the door is dirty, the camera cannot complete
whatever circuit is required to operate.  In Harrison's case, I think there
was in internal problem in the door.

In the case of your winder, it could be a dirty or bad contact causing the
problem.  This is a very common problem with Motorolla cellular phones.  I
have had different models of them over the last ten years and when they get
into the habit of shutting themselves off, a quick clean of the battery
contacts with a pencil eraser usally cures it until the next time they get
dirty.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

G'day Rob,

Well I wish it were that easy. Contacts were all cleaned by me and Leica,
and the camera failed on the first roll after it was returned from Germany,
where they claim to have repaired the shutter, transport mechnaism and
replaced a "switch". No it seems I've bought a lemon from lemon [Lemon
cameras in Tokyo]. I remain in good spirits, and optimistic that Leica will
do the right thing.

Thanks for the comments

Alastair Firkin,