Subject: [Leica] pay on publication was Leica timing
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 19:15:46 -0800

Harrison wrote:

>>One  thing I do is after discussing the shoot with the client I write a
>letter  outlining  the  shoot,  what  the  client is looking for, what
>services I am providing, due date, estimate of expenses and such.
>
>I  fax  this  to  the  client  then  get them to sign off on it before
>pursuing the shoot further.>>>>>>>>

Hi Harrison,

I do a version of that and it is accompioned with a contract copy. The
shame of it all is, that at one time an assignment was discussed, hands
were shook and the assignment was done and you were paid within thirty
days. It was a great time to be a working photographer, unfortunately it
got side tracked and now everything has to be in writing in triplicate. A
big pain in the ass!

Yep and at one time you walked in the local camera store bought a Leica
took it out and it worked for thirty years. Today? Well OK I suppose that
is still possible, but according to what we see on the LUG it becomes
"testing time!" Check everything out from flashing lights through the lens
to almost using a loupe to check the finish.  OOPS! off track! :)

>Later when they say that is not what they were looking for I show them
>the letter and say tough this is what you described and signed off on.
>I have never had any problems working this way. It helps keep everyone
>in line, me included.<<<<<<<

And that's what I mean about "you gotta have it in writing!" And where the
hell did the honesty and honour of a hand shake go?

> As far as pay upon publication goes.  Our company does this, but only
> on stock photography.  For assignments we pay when we get the invoice
> from  the  freelance  photographer.

I should have clarified my comments,  as stock and a walk in photographer
trying to sell his pictures is a different thing compared to being assigned
by the publication. Assigned work should be paid for as you do at your
company, as that is "assigned specific" as in ordering pizza for a late
night paste-up.:) You get it, you pay for it right away.

People I get calls from are pretty good, as I've weeded out the morons over
the years, besides they know better than call me unless it's something they
know "I will do" and they can't screw around with any more paper work than
necessry.

Maybe it's me who has become the mean assed SOB! :)
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant