Subject: Re: [Leica] pay on publication was Leica timing
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 09:35:53 -0600

Wednesday, Wednesday, December 23, 1998, Ted Grant wrote:

> I rarely shoot for them when they call. Unless
> they put it in "Writing!" exactly what they want and what was agreed upon
> in the discussion. Some twit visually challenged art director/editor who is
> usually paid far beyond their ability to find the toilet, will try to twist
> his change of mind back on the photographer, at the photographers expense.
>
> Seeing it in writing must be a rub-off on me after dealing with legal
> begals, no offence intended legal lads, better you're with me than agin
> me!:)

Ted,

One  thing I do is after discussing the shoot with the client I write a
letter  outlining  the  shoot,  what  the  client is looking for, what
services I am providing, due date, estimate of expenses and such.

I  fax  this  to  the  client  then  get them to sign off on it before
pursuing the shoot further.

Later when they say that is not what they were looking for I show them
the letter and say tough this is what you described and signed off on.
I have never had any problems working this way. It helps keep everyone
in line, me included.

 As far as pay upon publication goes.  Our company does this, but only
 on stock photography.  For assignments we pay when we get the invoice
 from  the  freelance  photographer.

Best regards,
 Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto
preview my book: http://www.volmania.com
mailto:hmcclary@earthlink.net

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.