Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Question re-timing
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 08:55:19 -0800

- --------------27E4349108EC3C95D8294513

David Morton wrote:

> And payments, there's nothing more de motivating than trying to work on
> the March issue of a publication, when you haven't been paid for November

David,

I spoke recently with documentary shooter Colin Finley who was 18 months out
on $5,000 invoice to Conde Nast Traveler and another $3000 from Natural
History magazine for over a year.  Said that juggling credit card payments a
real pain, and that by the time he has paid interest on the cards, the profit
level is way down.  He can't figure out what is going on, but even his agency
can't budge them.  And they were happy with the job.  Antonin Kratochvil said
same thing, Details magazine, Natural History, Parenting, and many more just
drag and drag and drag.  Yet their profit picture is rosey.

I once had an ad agency in NY tell me that if I couldn't fund a $40,000 job
and wait 3 to 5 months to be paid I obviously wasn't big time enough for them
to work with.

I simply require a down payment now from anyone for much of anything over
$500.  I find that when people have money out of pocket on a job, they change
their attitudes--being more cooperative, more receptive, more appreciative.

I also have the feeling that if more photographers asked, they could get money
up front.  And editors might take them more seriously.

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego