Subject: [Leica] Chemicals and marbles..... Merry Christmas
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 8:49:21 -0500

While putting marbles in your bottles to eliminate air sounds good in
theory....... I think it could get rather messy and I have a easier and
in the end a less time consuming solution......  And I agree with Jim, it
is a time consuming process...... I figure an entire day to develop 2
runs of E-6... (I.E.10 rolls of film) by the time you figure in mixing
chemistry and mounting the slides

I prefer using 5 smaller bottles per gallon of chemistry that I want to
eliminate the air from...........  I like using old T-Max dev bottles and
Kodak 1 gal E-6 kits come with several bottles that will work fine.
Since I'm using a JOBO with 700ml ..... I pre-measure that amount of
first and color developer into all of the bottles and squeeze out the
air.....  This means I don't have to measure out those chemicals before
each run and setup is much faster as I don't have to rinse the graduate
between steps....  Jobo has opaque bottles and clear bottles with
graduated markings on them so you can pour the other chemicals directly
into them without using a separate graduate.  I use opaque bottles for
first and color developer.

So far I haven't had any problems with reversal and
pre-bleach/conditioner going bad..... but I normally use at least a
gallon of E-6 chemistry a month.

Part of that may be the fact that I'm using  2 half-gallon bottles per
gallon of the other chemistry as it keeps the second half fresh until
needed.

Wishing each and every Lug member a very merry Christmas as we once again
celebrate the birth of the Saviour!

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador