Subject: Re: [Leica] Shooting Transparencies
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 23:40:24 -0800

Last week I showed slides to all the great guys and gals at the Group
Humboldt Bay Coast Guard air station. About 100 of the crew were there for
their holiday "stand-down" muster, and I was the featured entertainment
with shots from the aerial photo project with those beautiful Dolphin
helicopters.

It's hard to beat a well projected Leica transparency. They enjoyed aerial
landscapes and aircraft photos - most of all shots of themselves, which is
what the Leica is best at, of course. Lots of kibitzing and laughter as I
showed everyone from kitchen crew to commander. Great fun all around and a
wonderful feeling of welcome from an elite group whose trust has been
achieved thru doing a job with them and doing it well. Thank you Leica (and
Hasselblad, too, which did the actual work-a-day aerial photos).

Then early last Sunday I drove down to San Francisco, and the snow began
falling just 25 miles south of Eureka. I stopped at both the Benbow Inn and
Richardson Grove as day was dawning. Three or four inches of snow covered
redwoods and rivers in a rare display - maybe this happens once every 15
years. . . and this time I was there! I shot Velvia and Astia with the M6,
mostly using 21mm Elmarit, 35mm Summicron and 50mm Summicron. What a bounty
of visual delights. Fresh snow on giant trees, rising light over a big
river, and nobody's tracks in the snow but my own.

It was the best Christmas present I could have hoped for. I'm still
grinning at the memory of it all, and more and more amazed at the abundance
of beauty and grace in God's creation. What a privilege to be able to see
it and capture a few slices of it on film.

Merry Christmas to all -

Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGger