Subject: Re: [Leica] "standard camera"
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 08:07:50 -0600

> Then the fellow shows me
>the Nikon F5. Looking at the F5 and R-8 side-by-side I was impressede more
>with the F5 (did you see how fast that motor drive moves that puppy?)

Yes, the sound of an F5 going 8 fps is rather exciting. Check your bank
account. :-)

The F5 is a great camera. I really like it. But it's the glass that counts.
And the R8 is no slouch of a camera. And it had one feature that the F5
doesn't. If you use flash that is not TTL much,  the R8 would be the choice
since it has a built-in flash meter. If you use a lot of TTL flash, the F5
is king. No other camera can touch it. If you shoot sports, the F5 is the
choice.

In fact, in the latest Photo Techniques magazine there is an article on the
best 25 cameras. I have to email Mike Johnston to tell him he forgot the
R8! I wrote the one on the F5, which is now #2 behind some 5x7 camera. :-)
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch