Subject: Re: [Leica] "standard camera"
From: n.b.watson@juno.com (Nigel B Watson)
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 09:17:57 EST

The R8 and F5 are two completely different cameras.  If you need the
incredible AF,  the blazing motor-drive, and a 100% viewfinder, your only
choice is the F5.  If you are going to be unhappy shooting your
masterpieces through non-Leica lenses then the R8 is it no matter what
features it lacks.  My advice: shoot exact side-by-side comparisons (same
focal length, subject, light and film).   Mark the slide mounts on the
*underside* with an N or an L.  Have someone else mix them up on a light
table so you can't see the marks, then you pick out the ones you think
are better and put them aside.  Then, turn them over and see if there's a
majority of one or another marque.   BTW, if you're looking for maximum
AF performance from the F5, I would not consider the 180/2.8 even though
it is arguably the best current Nikkor extant from an optical standpoint.
 The latest 80-200/2.8 is much faster AF-ing.  The new (yet unavailable)
80-200 with the AF-S internal focussing motor (a la Canon) promises to be
the best of all, plus it will be an optical reformulation of an already
exemplary lens.
Regards,
Nigel

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998 23:47:21 -0500 smhickel@iserv.net writes:

>do I
>get the R8 and 180/2.8 combo OR do I opt for the F5 and maybe the
>180/2.8
>or the 80-200/2.8? Well I am going to sleep on this but what I do know
>is
>that the lens is what counts and the three Leica lenses I mentioned
>are
>nice ones. Thoughts anybody?
>
>Steve

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]