Subject: Re: [Leica] BEST WISHES AND TWO QUESTIONS
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 07:39:51 -0600 (CST)

Hi, Lucien, and many thanks.

Yes, the SL series was BEAUTIFUL....and I'm sorry to say that
at least mechanically, the Leica R lenses have quite an edge
over Nikkors (even my favorites, the late "F" non AIs from '66 thru
'74 or so).  My only bitch about the SLs was that IF you had
shutter trouble or mirror-box problems, it was a write-off at
worst, an EXTREMELY expensive repair at best.  Call me simple-
minded, but if things can be done equally well with half the
parts, half is better!

I'm so glad you noticed the quality of finish of the F-F2.  It's
>nearly< up to 60s Leica standards, MUCH better than today's
finishes.  Internally, the same applies....  As for the black
ones, I prefer chrome---although I have a somewhat brassy black
one, and used to really like the "rough & tumble journalist
look"!! I guess I'm getting old, but I like the chrome Leicas
better, too....I've gotten over the "black-paint envy".

I also formed biases due to a couple years in a repair shop....The
Nikons of the era were "built for servicing" -- as are the M-leicas,
tho neither needs much repair.....they each have a few Achille's
heels -- slow speeds and curtain brakes/sync on Leicas, and
Finders/screens/advance-rewind clutch on Nikon Fs.....both easily
correctible, tho.....  And the biggie -- >WHEN< is Leica going to
change to titanium curtains?  A RFDR camera with cloth curtains
is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.....I do hope, however, that
Leica resists the temptation to go to a modular (vertical) shutter
in the M7-M8 -- but it'll eventually come to that-just so they
can advertise higher sync speeds-flash has become the standard
detriment to journalistic photography!

I realize that some folks are offended by this "Nikon" talk, but
if they're REALLY interested in the finest cameras from the past,
the SP, F-F2 simply MUST be handled and looked over, as you have
obviously done....remember, the F-F2 and the SP were concurrent
with the M-2-3-4-SL-SL/2, and the price differential was MUCH smaller
then than now, particularly on the lenses, so there was a reason
folks brought up on Leicas "strayed" from the marque.....

I'd have to put the fit-finish-function of the late-SP-F-F2
solidly in-between "Leica then-and-Leica Now".  However, if you
want/need electronics in your camera (some DON'T!) -- the R-series
is DEFINITELY my choice, by default.  Todays competitors don't
even come close to the quality of R.  Today's students, even
mine, can't imagine a non-metered camera, and the younger ones
have never SEEN a non-AF 35mm camera!

BTW, the price gap is narrowing between a clean SL/SL2/R-whatever
and a minty Nikon >WITH< standard finder!  Try to find one
under $4-500!-- I have!-- and they're being hoarded like Ms were
15-20 years ago!  History will sort it out.

Best over-eating wishes to all,
Walt