Subject: [Leica] Jim Lagerīs new book
From: Carsten Bockermann <Carsten_Bockermann@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 01:18:51 -0500

I just received the following message about the third volume of Jim Lagerīs
Leica reference from a friend.

Carsten

=======================

If you're are looking for the ultimate Christmas or Hanukka gift for your
Leica lover,
or if your loved ones need some prompting :-)
then - short of a new Leica lens or body - this is it:

James L. Lager
LEICA - An Illustrated History - Volume III - Accessories
Lager Limited Editions, Closter NJ 1998, ISBN 0-9636973-3-1

This is Jim Lager's, America's most eminent Leica historian, third and
final volume of his "Leica-Illustrated History" series that started with
volume I "Cameras" in 1993, which was followed by volume II "Lenses" in
1994.

These books are Jim's labor of love. The visual and physical quality of
these books - traditional hard cover and binding, premium paper, exquisite
printing, photography and layout - emulate the quality of the products they
celebrate.

When I reviewed volume I "Cameras" in this forum, my headline read "Leicas
leaping off the page". I said this, because almost every camera, lens and
accessory is reproduced life-size, photographed by Jim in black and white
with almost loving care. In addition, there is a section of exquisite
product shots in color photographed by himself with his Leicaflex SL/SL2
and by John Mecray using a Leica R6 and the APO Macro Elmarit R. The
photographs are accompanied by brief, well researched historical
descriptions.

"Accessories" is the most historial of the three volumes, in the sense that
most of what is presented here is history. It was above all the screw mount
Leicas that had an abundance of accessories for all kinds of weird and
wonderful jobs.

The largest section is devoted to viewfinders of all kinds. Reflex
housings, and various kinds of close-up devices are equally items which
neither Leica M nor R needs today. But they are fun to look at and to
understand; while old motors and exposure meters show the origins of
today's technology. The Leica Gun and the lens-turrets for the Leica M and
for the Visoflex, I felt, were the most unusual accessories - kind of
dead-end technology that hasn't survived.

Jim also presents projectors, film handling and processing equipment, flash
and stereo equipment and some charming special engravings.

These books have their price. Volume III retails for $185-200 in the US.
Volumes I and II are about $150.

In Italy, the books sell for L 350.000 each. Lindemanns in Germany charge
DM 398.- for volume III and 348.- for volumes I and II.

If you don't find the books at your local pro camera store or photo book
dealer, A Phographers Place in NYC and Lindemann's in Stuttgart/Germany are
well stocked and reliable mail order outfits. Since these are the only mail
order companies that I order from, others might know stores in London,
Paris and Milan that stock the book(s).

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Carsten_Bockermann/