Subject: Re: [Leica] Elmar-M 2.8/50
From: "JeffS" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 08:54:50 -0700

Phillip,

Grime and focus of the current 50 Elmar have not been a problem. Once in
awhile, I'll wipe down the sliding portion of the barrel with a Q-tip and a
very tiny amount of Teflon lube. You get used to a certain pattern of useage
with this lens, which is to uncap and extend it in the same
flick-of-the-wrist.

Image quality: It seems "crisper" than the '70s 50 Summicron I owned, and
less prone to flare. The screw-in metal lenshood tends to get stuck, so I
leave it in place, but it's great at protecting the front of the lens. The
space savings only happens when the lens is mounted on the camera, and it
certainly does make for a small package.

About the same time I bought the Elmar, I also tried out the Summicron, and
found it a fine performer, possibly a wee bit smoother-looking, but if it's
tech bits and measurements you want, see if Erwin Putts has run proper tests
on the things; I don't have the URL for his website handy, but I'm sure many
others do. As far as I'm concerned, the main decision to be made between the
two is which handles better to you

I have photos on my website taken with both the older Summicron and the
current Elmar: The Elmar photos are Chautauqua and Trees/Vacant Lot. The
former, I'd have shot at f/16 or so, the later, at f/3.5 or thereabouts. The
Summicron images are Restaurant Window (f/5.6, I'd say) and Petticoat Lane
(probably shot wide open).

Jeff Segawa
See my photography online at
http://www.netone.com/~segawa