Subject: Re: [Leica] Luggers are dangerous
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:50:04 -0800

Nathan wrote:

>The weight is not a problem, in fact the M6 feels nicely balanced with the
>Noctilux. I have it sitting on my desk at the office right now, it looks good,
>slightly menacing with that big piece of glass pointing at me...

Nathan,
Under the circumstance of it sitting on your desk it makes a great
conversational piece as a "paper weight!" :)

>As for the other 50mm, I would prefer also to get rid of it, but I am just a
>bit concerned about whether it is good enough at daylight situations, say f8 at
>1/250.>>>>>>>

I've used it at all apetures by now and I've always found it to be "eye OK"

That doesn't mean if it were put on the test table as in an Erwin test, one
wouldn't  see a difference. But as Erwin points out at the end of the
article, "The Noctilux-M is a superb lens with a fascinating full aperture
performance, and a very competent performance at smaller apertures."

As we know a test and report of findings by Erwin is the best "common sense
test" that one can find. So on the basis of his report I wouldn't hesitate
in getting rid of the other 50.

>I guess I will just have to shoot some film and see for myself.>>>>>>>

Which is the bottomline test for each of us using Leica's. The test of how
one is or isn't satisfied is the ultimate eye test!  Simply because what's
good for one isn't good for another. The Erwin tests give us a solid
guideline to look for, but in the end it's how we feel about what we see in
results that really counts.

One thing the Noctilux gives that none of the others do and that is taking
pictures when everyone else is in bed! :) Or they are using flash! :)

I hope you get a good price for the 50.
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant