Subject: [Leica] Galen Rowell (was: Evercolor)
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 04:39:47 -0500

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998,  Jim Brick wrote:

>At 10:06 PM 12/14/98 -0800, Gib Robinson wrote:
>
>>Second, he often takes photos that I think are best left to medium
>>or large format photographers (or at the very least Leica users): that
is,
>>photos that beg for rich detail and extraordinary sharpness to convey
>>texture and subtlety. And, of course, he's not using Leitz lenses. To my
>>eyes Rowell seems to be working toward the drama and entertainment side
of
>>photography rather than toward showing us a way of seeing in and through
>>what's there in the landscape so that I am learning to see better through
>>his photography.
>>
>>--Gib
>
>Ah ha Gib... you are indeed seeing the light. You've taken the words right
>out of MANY OF OUR mouths. But we all have been too, uh, inhibited, to say
>what you said. Many thanks. To be blunt, much of his stuff is really
>unsharp. Actually, if enlarged larger than a thumbnail, it's blurry. And
>which personality side of [him] did you manage to meet? His wife is a very
>nice person.
>
>Jim (Opps... I think I'm in trouble now) Brick

Gib and Jim,

Regarding Rowell's (and Atkinson's) photography, IMHO you're right on the
mark.  Atkinson is technically proficient but as far as vision goes his
photographs have all been done before, perhaps to excess.  I attribute the
commercial success of Rowell's photography to his presentation of exotic
locations to arm-chair travelers.

At the exhibit, Rowell himself did little besides read from a prepared
script.  I considered the event mostly a presentation of EverColor's
Luminage process, and that Rowell's and Atkinson's photographs were mostly
a medium for presentation of the process.

Doug Herr
Sacramento