Subject: Re: [Leica] EverColor Luminage
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 16:17:21 -0500

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Gary D. Whalen wrote:

>Can anyone tell me exactly what an Evercolor print costs?   By the way I
don't
>believe that this is an exclusive production method.  I believe that it is
all
>in the equipment which is available to anyone that has the $$$$.

Gary,

I can't say anything about the cost.  According to the EverColor reps at
Mountain Light gallery, the Luminage prints made by Evercolor are made on a
LightJet laser printer using an archival-quality Fuji paper.  The paper can
also be used in an optical enlarger, so it's not exclusive to EverColor or
to a digital process.  However, there are fewer than a dozen of the
LightJet printers in existance (a colleage of mine whose company has one in
Los Angeles corroborates this statement), and EverColor's printer is
specially stabilized against vibration and was modified (by EverColor) to
reduce or eliminate stray light reflections in the inside of the printer.

Still according to the EverColor reps, EverColor pays particular attention
to the developing chemistry and calibrates the printer for each paper
emulsion batch.  They buy the 50" wide, 200' rolls of print paper in large
quantities of the same emulsion to achieve consistent results.  The printer
itself is 8 feet wide, 8 feet long and 6 feet high.

I don't know if any other labs are doing as much as EverColor is to ensure
consistent premium-quality results but the prints I saw were simply
stunning.

Doug Herr
Sacramento