Subject: Re: [Leica] consolidating my photo system....
From: Francesco <fls@san.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 18:37:58 -0800

Yes, I did!  That was my first Leica kit 2 years ago......a chrome
R8, a 35 Summilux and an 80 Summilux.  I took that kit to Asia
for a month and loved every minute of it.  I'd say my ONLY
complaint was weight and bulk, but it was not unmanageable.

A lot of people have written me and said I should keep BOTH
systems.  I know it would be ideal, and it's not the finances that
bothers me, it's the necessity of carrying TWO complete kits
around the world with me when all I like to travel with is a backpack
and a shoulder bag!  Objectively, anyone would HAVE to choose the
R system if they were looking for all-around versatility simply
because, by definition, the M system does not comfortably
accomodate long lenses and super-wides.  When I was in France
recently, I found the 35 not wide enough, and the 90 not long enough.
Funny, but when I was in Asia, the 35 was plenty!

The bottom line is, as much as it will hurt to sell my M6HM, I would
be better served by a complete R system.  I am not a photojournalist
and I do not shoot in the Supreme Court, so the ultra-quietness of the
M is just a luxury, not a necessity.  Truthfully, I would rather have a
narrow angle spot meter than a super-quiet shutter.  I seem to remember
from when I had my R8 that the R8 shutter is not so loud anyway.
The main M feature I will miss is portability and compactness.

Francesco