Subject: Re: [Leica] American cameras
From: "JeffS" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 23:28:37 -0700

What does "Made in USA" mean, anyway? These days, that the EPA and OSHA had
a say in how things were done! That's a good thing, I think. One of my first
summer jobs was working at an electronic equipment factory, and the
assemblers, mostly middle-aged women, were originally from just about
everywhere but the US of A. Some barely spoke English. They did good work.
What does "Made In Germany" mean these days? Dunno-maybe that the Turkish
guest worker worked under Green Party-approved conditions :-)

But if quality American finished goods seem a trifle rarer than the should,
maybe it's because skilled crafts and arts are seen as somehow less
prestigious than being a highly paid executive (who produces no tangible
goods whatsoever), and because there are too few entry level jobs which
would teach valuble skills, and too many whose on-the-job training seem to
consist of learning to ask "Would you like fries with that, sir?". I did try
to get a manufacturing job awhile back, hoping to learn how to produce
precision optics-no luck; they wanted me for the electronics side of the
business-nothing new for me there, so declined the job offer.

Jeff Segawa
See my photography online at
http://www.netone.com/~segawa