Subject: RE: [Leica] CLA - Incredible Leicas -50 below!
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 07:59:22 -0300

At 12:09 PM 10/12/98 -0700, you wrote:
 Hi Tim,

>> Whenever I work in the arctic my cameras are not out from under
>> my oversize
>> parka long enough to freeze-up. At least that's always the plan. :) The
>> secret of keeping them running, lenses also, is how you carry them and you
>> dress.
>>

>Ted,
>
>I have done this as well, and it has also work. BUT, beware of body moisture
>on the camera. Perspiration tends to migrate from your body to your parka.

        Hi guys,

        While working in the cold is par for the course out here, minus 40
or 50 is something I have only experienced only a few times (mercifully!)

        The camera in coat doesn't work for me either. Condensation is a
larger problem. I have to keep the gear exposed when in use.

When I started working on the Labrador coast, northern Quebec and further
north, I asked Nikon Pro Service about lubrication.  They said they did have
a graphite based lubricate the was a much better then the standard
lubricants in sub-zero temps.  Never had a problem with those Nikons after.

        I have not had a chance to try the Leicas in that kind of
temperature yet but I think I will be checking with the Leica Service folks
before my next northern winter assignment..... although I am hoping for a
"Palm Trees of the Caribbean" story next :~)

        What's the light like up ther now, Tim?
Here, the days are short but brilliant!
Sometimes I think the northern winter light is the only thing that make
living here worthwhile.

Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
St. John's, Newfoundland.
<http://www.straylight.ca/locke/>
"I've finally figured out what's wrong with photography.
It's a one-eyed man looking through a little 'ole.
Now, how much reality can there be in that?" -- David Hockney