Subject: Re: [Leica] FW: 100mm f4 Macro Elmar for bellows
From: Dominique PELLISSIER <pelliss@droit-eco.univ-nancy2.fr>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 11:13:40 +0100

At 16:12 10/12/98 -0600, Ferrel Anderson wrote :
:

> [...]
Program", I noticed that although the Bellows -R is still offered, the
100mm f4 Macro Elmar short mount lens is no longer listed.  That lens has
been around for a long time without an optical recomputation.  Are they
planning on offering a new computation, or are they discontinuing this lens?

>> I was never happy with the performance of the 100mm Macro Elmar that I
owned.  It matched my other lenses in sharpness at f11 - f22, but was not
exceptional at wider apertures.  My 60mm Macro Elmarit-R and 100mm APO
Macro Elmarit-R lenses are head and shoulders above the 100mm Macro
Elmar.Even my black 65mm Elmar is better.  Anyone have an opinion on the
performance of this lens, and any information on what Leica is planning?

>> Ferrel Anderson

#########
Your comments corrobate the MTF-test made by the french review Chasseur
d'images.At 4 and 5.6, the lens is only "good ; which is deep under the
Leica quality standard of our time.
I always follow the tests before purchasing a lens. So my money is not wasted.
One exception : I own an old chrome elmar 65 which has never been
MTF-tested by CI.But I don't give a damn 'cause I use it only for repro at
f:11 ! I tried to use it at full aperture, at infinity and in a false
light: a disaster.But I asked for it !
I was told that the black model you have has a new optical formula, better
than the old one of course. But I have no other information.

Dominique Pellissier