Subject: [Leica] Old Humbers, Old Leicas
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 10:01:17 +0000

Mike Dembinski wrote:

>Not forgetting the top-of-the-range Humber Imperial (vinyl roof, extra
>super-duper appointments within to keep the most demanding plutocrat in utter
>comfort) nor the Humber Hawk, a stripped down version of the Super Snipe.
>Until
>recently here in Warsaw there were a couple driving around - leftovers
>from the
>British Embassy's car fleet, I guess.

Which reminds me that my first ever car (purchased for the princely sum of
about USD100) was a 1926 Humber 9/20 tourer (20 stands for 20 bhp). I was
17; it was 36!

Three speed crash box on the right, accelerator pedal in the middle, hand
throttle and ignition advance/retard, and no brakes worth speaking of. Also
no windows. It'd do about 45 mph flat out.

On the other hand, the unobstructed button-leather bench front seat proved
very useful for romantic teenage encounters, albeit a bit chilly if the
wind was in the wrong direction.

Passed my test first time on this. I think the examiner was surprised I
could drive it at all.

To wrench this thread back on topic, it was a similar story with my first
Leica - a mostly brass IIIa with Summar which I used throughout my
university days as a staffer on the university newspaper. I was 18; it was
30. Published a lot on the front page with that one.

Maybe that car was where my love of ancient precision machinery came
from.......but then nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst
Cork Florists