Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Halogen light and lenses
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 20:39:06 -0800

Nigel wrote:

<<<<However, I can't reconcile how an individual can insist on only using
Leica (or Zeiss) glass, pay the huge premium for it, deplore the use of a
UV filter, yet accept a brand-new lens with a "huge bubble" in the front
element.>>>>>>>

Nigel my good man,

Please read up on high end optical glass manufacturing as in Leica, Zeiss,
Nikon and others. Bubbles occur in the cooling and under the circumstance
have no effect at all. Why? Look it up!

Or better still, maybe LUG friend Erwin Puts could enlighten the LUG
regarding this effect and how it occurs.

And paying for and using Leica glass with bubbles is no big deal! I would
venture to say there are multi thousands of Leica lenses about the world
with bubbles!

So realax Nigel old boy, and don't rattle your lenses too much.:)  You may
change the bubble shape.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant