Subject: [Leica] Bubbles
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 18:45:16 -0800

At 08:57 PM 12/10/98 -0500, you wrote:
>yet accept a brand-new lens with a "huge bubble" in the front
>element.
>
>Regards,
>Nigel

Well Nigel, it turns out that back then, perhaps even now, bubbles were an
accepted artifact in some premium quality lenses. Some of the Zeiss
Hasselblad lenses were that way. It, in no way, effects lens performance.

And from Ted:
>I recall the first Leica lens I got many moons ago and looked in to it and
>there were bubbles!!! I just about went nuts,  called raising hell about
>cheap coke bottle glass and what's all the hype about perfection etc.  Then
>it was quitely explained to me what happens with high end optical glass as
>it cools and bubbles occur, No big deal, relax ted go take pictures and
>call us back if you think you have a problem.
>
>Guess what?  NO PROBLEM!  :) Just beautiful cut images on film.

A UV filter ALWAYS effects performance. Two more air/glass surfaces. A
bubble effects perhaps .001% of the photons passing through the lens.
Totally insignificant.

Jim