Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Telephoto Lenses
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 22:13:13 -0600

>I've seen photographers get within 10 metres of bison,

Sam Abell, in his book (with the historian Stephen Ambrose) on Lewis and
Clark, one of the earliest pictures is of a buffalo about 10 inches away.
Abell was under a pickup at the time, and the curious critter came down and
took a close look. He was scared to death because the buffalo could have
flipped the truck with little effort.

I was about 6 feet from some of the buffalo when I was inside the herd
photographing. It was a quite unnerving situation. I would have never been
there without the Indian fellow who I was with. Wildlife (and these
monsters are more wild than not) are not to be trifled with.

But the worst animal I've had problems with, the only one to actually
attack me besides a mosquito, leech, noseeum or a tick, is a human. A
former boxer who was a photographer.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO